Applications for Fall 2023 admissions are now being accepted!
The following applies to both the full-time and part-time MSW program.
Application Priority Deadline: March 1, 2023
Applications will be accepted after this deadline on a space-available basis. We only admit for a Fall semester start. We do not offer a Spring semester start.
Applicants can pursue the Graduate Program at our Stony Brook campus or Manhattan location.
See Application Material Guidelines for more information about the below admissions requirements.
- Submit a $100 non-refundable application fee. Please see application for more information about fee waivers.
- Applicants must hold or be in progress of pursuing a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/University with a cumulative minimum GPA of 2.5 (2.8 preferred).
- Upload all unofficial transcripts* for any college credit earned (including college courses taken while in high school).
- Complete a personal essay that displays your understanding of the profession, our School of Social Welfare Mission and readiness for graduate social work education through the manner with which you address the identified issues and your use of examples that illustrate your points. Although you may include any information that you believe is pertinent to your application, please be sure to clearly discuss the provided essay questions indicated on the application.
- (3) letters of recommendation required from past or current professors and/or employers, supervisors or health care professionals for whom you have worked in a paid or volunteer position.
There are no prerequisite courses or GRE test scores required for admission into the Graduate program.
*Graduate Applicants please do not send transcripts to the Graduate School. Applicants must upload transcripts through their application portal or mail to the School of Social Welfare. Transcripts sent to the Graduate School may cause delay in admissions review.
See Application Material Guidelines for more information about the admissions requirements.
At the discretion of the School of Social Welfare Admissions Committee, interviews may be required.
Admission to the BSW & MSW Program is conditional and contingent on the successful completion of all admission requirements of the School of Social Welfare.
The School of Social Welfare Admissions Office will make an effort to inform applicants of any missing materials. However, it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure their application is complete for review. Incomplete applications may result in delayed admissions review. All Admissions Correspondence will be emailed. Please check your email frequently for notifications.
43 percent of applicants to the MSW program are accepted; 45 percent are accepted to the BSW program. 95 percent of enrolled MSW students and 98 percent of enrolled BSW students complete the requirements for the degree. A survey of MSW graduates indicated that 90 percent of those responding to the questionnaire were employed in social work and 85 percent had obtained employment within three months of graduation.
For questions, please send an email to email@example.com