Miguel Muñoz-Laboy, DrPH
Associate Professor, School of Social Welfare
Columbia University, Doctor of Public Health (DrPH), Sociomedical sciences, 2001.
University of Connecticut, Masters of Public Health (MPH), International health, 1998.
University of Puerto Rico, Bachelors in Science (BS), Agriculture, 1996.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Social determinants of Latinx health
- HIV continuity of care
- Globalization and migrant health
- Co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders
- Bisexual health research
- Masculinity and structural determinants of substance misuse
- Social isolation, loneliness, and economic exclusion
- Medical-legal partnerships
- Social epidemiology
- Lu W, Muñoz-Laboy M, Sohler N, Goodwin RD. (2021). Trends and Disparities in Treatment for Co-occurring Major Depression and Substance Use Disorders Among US Adolescents From 2011 to 2019. JAMA Netw Open. 2021;4(10):e2130280. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.30280
- Muñoz-Laboy, M. (2019). Ethnic and racial specificity, or not, in bisexuality research: A practical commentary. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 48(1), 317-325.
- Bamford, L., Benitez, J., Muñoz-Laboy, M. (2019). Providing HIV comprehensive care for Latino/a injecting drug users in Philadelphia, 2013-2018. American Journal of Public Health, 109(2), 273-275.
- Muñoz-Laboy, M., Garcia, J. (2019). Bisexual Latino men’s motivations for sex and implications for HIV/STI risk. American Journal of Sexuality Education, 14 (4): 440-465.
- Muñoz-Laboy, M.,* Martinez, M., Davison, R., Fernández, M.I. (2019). Examining the Impact of Medical Legal Partnerships in improving outcomes on the HIV Care Continuum: Rationale, design and methods, BMC Health Services Research (19) 849 https://bmchealthservres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12913-019-4632-x
- Muñoz-Laboy, M.,* Bamford, L., Zisman-Ilani, Y., Benitez, J., Ripkin, A., Camacho-Estevez, T. (2020). En la lucha against multiple stigmas: Improving HIV care continuum outcomes for Puerto Ricans with substance use disorders using a transnational multilevel approach. Journal of Migrant and Minority Health, OPEN ACCESS: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10903-020-01091-6
- McKay, K., Poulin, C. & Muñoz-Laboy, M.* (2020) Claiming Public Health Crisis to Regulate Sexual Outlets: A Critique of the State of Utah’s Declaration on Pornography. Archives of Sexual Behavior. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10508-020-01884-8
- Examining the Impact of Medical Legal Partnerships in Improving Outcomes on the HIV Care Continuum (1R21MH115820-01) 07/01/2018 – 05/31/2020
- Clinica Bienestar: An HIV treatment intervention for Latinos in Philadelphia (H97HA26504) 09/01/2013-08/31/2018
MEDIA COVERAGE OF RESEARCH STUDIES
- Dunleavy, Brian P. "Most teens with depression, substance use issues don't get simultaneous care". UPI, https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2021/10/20/teens-depression-substance-use-treatment-study/4991634738316/ October 20, 2021.
- Parker-Pope, Tara. “For Clues on Teenage Sex, Experts Look to Hip-Hop.” New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/health/07iht-06well.8230986.html, November 6, 2007.
- Julian, Liam. “Bad Rap, Celebrating Hip-Hop Degrades Urban Communities.” National Review Online, http://www.nationalreview.com/article/222790/bad-rap-liam-julian, November 9, 2007.
- Stepp, Laura. “Two Types Of Dirty Dancing: Grinding Is Explicit, But Don't Call It Sexy.” The Washington Post, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/02/AR2008060202043.html, June 3, 2008.
- Solman, Paul. “From Ball and Chain to Cap and Gown: Getting a B.A. Behind Bars.” PBS, http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/july-dec11/makingsense_07-26.html, July 26, 2011.
- Cassell, Heather. “New website caters to bi Latinos,” The Bay Area Reporter http://ebar.com/news/article.php?sec=news&article=68848, June 13, 2013.
- Waring, Belle, ‘A Complex Conundrum’ NIMHD Seminar Tackles Men’s Health Disparities http://nihrecord.od.nih.gov/newsletters/2013/08_16_2013/story1.htm